Monday, February 22, 2016

All. The. Feelings; Farewell Cravings for Unavailability...






So, I went out to a poetry cafe Saturday evening with my cousin & one of my close friends from college. Poetry has always been a major key in my life. It's a form of release & I enjoy being invited into other people's minds as I hear their feelings. If you're in the LES neighborhood I highly recommend checking out the Nuyorican. It will give you a well needed break from the routine of your work week & I guarantee you'll leave feeling inspired. The daily events are listed on their website & the cover ranges from $10-13. Pick which event you like from the options, arrive early to grab a seat & there you have the recipe for a calm Saturday turn up!

True to form, during our conversation before & in between acts; my love life (or the lack thereof) took center stage. Before I go into detail, let me just say that I wear my emotions on my face. So if you're close enough to me or are actively paying attention ; you know just how to gage what thoughts are running through my mind by looking at my expression. With that being said, these two are the mirrors that I couldn't avoid (even if I wanted to). Their love for me literally cuts me wide open & it keeps me in check. If you're reading this (& you better be, thank you for your investments in my life). They saw that something was heavy on my mind & knew who the culprit was; myself.

I couldn't stop hearing their words ring through my ears. "You're a catch, you're not crazy, you're intelligent, and why do you choose to make limited decisions regarding your heart..." As it turns out, somewhere along the way to accomplishing my goals; I put my heart on the shelf. I deliberately "fell" into situationships that were dumb but that gave me a fixed outcome. I would be lying if I said I didn't know what I was doing. The truth is, I began to crave the unavailability. I'm not sure how but I have an ability to be talked to about any & everything. I have a very emphatic spirit so there are very few things that I can't understand. A lot of women in particular vent to me & a few of them have fallen in love with me.

I knew from our friendship prior to us becoming romantic or intimate that they were either emotionally unavailable or used my attention as a crutch. I filled a void for them & I allowed myself to get involved with them as their extreme levels of unavailability was convenient. In some cases, the situationship came with no strings & others had no expectations. The unavailability worked with my hectic unpredictable schedule & I was able to dictate the outcome of when it would be over.

Here's the monkey wrench; I want to get married & grow in love. This means I have to stop craving unavailability & begin to set a standard but also open myself up to the reality that unavailability doesn't produce longevity. In order for me to receive what I want & need I have to jump out of my comfort zone & welcome in a new light.


I woke up this morning, looked at myself in the bathroom mirror & I said to myself  "You know the problem, now let's figure out a solution. But first, are you scared, & if so of what?"

No comments:

Post a Comment