Thursday, June 30, 2016

Verbal Intimacy (unfinished)








Spark conversations quicker than a matchbox
You ignite my senses without even taking a look
You erect me 
You perfect me
You soothe me
Your consideration pursues me
To provide me with verbal intimacy
We talk about everything from applesauce to african apartheid
Jumping from who framed roger rabbit to what about tears when I’m happy
I close my eyes 
& allow my body language to speak to you in a zillion different tongues
Sandalwood tickles my nose 
As your verbal intimacy keeps me dancing on my toes
It was easy for me not to worry about me because I believed that other people didn’t care
Until I realized that you begin to stare
Into my soul
& you looked me into my eyes and asked 
Are you hungry?
Me?
I looked to my left & my right
& then landed my eyes back on you
You hadn’t even blinked
I said
Yeah
I can eat
You replied with a smooth 
Let me feed you
& that you did
I ended every situationship with every around the way girl who was wrapped in eye candy & cheap costume jewelery 
In an effort to feast on your soul food
Traded their twerking for tradition
Ignored all of my inhibition 
& fell
I’ll tell you now
I followed Anita Baker’s lead & I’m taking a vow 
To continue giving you the best that I got
Truth be told
Sometimes I don't like you
You become distant when you're scared
Defensive when you feel lonely
Angry when you're hungry

Cranky when the world has gulped the last ounce of your energy away
It's terrifying to think that as you are loving hard
The person on the other end may feel you're doing too much
Or smothering them
I will always value your vulnerability
Without treating it like a disability...



1 comment: