Saturday, November 14, 2015

Equality; The Other Forbidden Fruit

I spent the summer of 2015 traveling, learning & working on the continent of Africa. Here's one of my journal posts regarding my experiences in July during Ramadan. Enjoy!

                                                  Equality; The Other Forbidden Fruit 

I remember when I was a child and the Rwanda genocide was first creating steam. Many media outlets were placing pressure on universities as well as companies who had financial investments in that region of Africa. I didn’t learn about it in a traditional way. Instead a television episode of A Different World introduced it to me. I was angry that so many people with the same ethnicity resorted to violence (and ultimately murder) as an immediate resolution to solve their problem. I was also angry that people from America didn’t seem to feel as passionately about the genocide as I did as a child. Fast forward to present day, I am a variety pack of feelings as I look around and the weight of physically being in Africa settles in. There are virtually a gazillion thoughts running through my mind because I keep wondering what can I do and how can I concretely create change…

For me these thoughts arrive in waves. Taking a casual walk through town you can clearly spot several similarities as well as differences from our society in New York to the people of Tanzania. Women, girls in particular; are often expected to stifle their individual voice. In New York, it is very common to see girls illustrate their sexuality through their clothing. They communicate mess
ages through how little or even how form fitted their garments are. Here, even if you wanted to communicate that way it would never be accepted or allowed. Currently, many people are observing Ramadan and even the prostitutes or sex workers are dressed in traditional hijabs and respectful garments. I find it very intriguing how much more respectful people can be in town here. Another fact that has sparked my interest is the traffic here. Women have the opportunity to ride bikes but they choose not to. Instead, they are driven around on piki piki’s (motor scooters) and sit on the back with their legs together and their purse in their lap. Surprisngly, they manage to keep their back straight and everything in place. Women in New York cling around their motorcycle driver when riding.

Although it may not be initially apparent, women are the gems of this society. When we broke into teams for the cultural cooking lesson we got an opportunity to spend the bulk of our day with the “mama” of the home. I observed her sew, help us prepare a three course meal from scratch, iron, manually light the coal fire, nurse her ten month old niece and bathe her toddler. Her high level of multitasking made me appreciate my own mother’s sacrifice. It also showed me that the nucleus of this society (similar to New York) is a strong invested mother. The “mamas” or the “matriarchs” of the family ensure safety and also provide a standard for their household. There’s power in their approval. In the reverse, there’s power in their disapproval. 


My experience in the household also gave me hope for the girls of Utaani. These girls may not have as much of a variety of opportunities as women in other parts of the world; but they have a yearning desire to learn. They are sharp, witty but also very inquisitive. There’s genuine discipline in their willingness to respect the cultural standards of this community. There’s incredible power in the reality that one day they will be as respected as the “mamas” that raise and sacrifice for them. My experience thus far has concretely illustrated for me that it is not our abilities that show who we truly are, it is the power of our choices that define our character. 

2 comments: